Please note that you will not find any unfavourable reviews here. I only write reviews on books that I enjoyed reading.

Tuesday 29 July 2008

Doggone

Don't be fooled by the innocent looking cover! This book dishes up piping hot surrealism by the ladleful. Best read while imbibing your favorite tipple in order to lubricate your brain to an appropriate viscosity.

It was often 'laugh out loud' funny, though tainted with a disturbing aftertaste of doubt; was it really appropriate to have laughed at that point in the book?

I feel it only fair to warn you that this is the kind of book that works its way into your subconscious and you will find yourself unexpectedly thinking about it.

Like the more notorious roller coasters, the ending leaves you thinking, 'That was a bit scary but whoo hooo what a ride!'. I was left with a somewhat masochistic desire to re-read it in case I had missed any of the subtle nuances the first time round.

Unexpectedly enjoyable from cover to cover with characters I loved and ones I loved to hate!

Doggone, written by Erik Ryman will be published by the wonderful world of Bluechrome on Oct 1st 2008. Get in the queue now for this book which is likely to become a cult classic...'what kind of cult?', did I hear you ask? Well you'll just have to read the book and find out!

3 comments:

erik ryman said...

Thank you for the review DJ, I think the last thing I expected was that somebody might sort of like it.

DJ Kirkby said...

You're welcome. Doggone just sort of grabs you and says 'Hold on 'cos you are coming along for the ride'. I din't expect to enjoy it as much as I did. It was scarily plausible too...

Caroline said...

Interesting review dj Kirkby.
And a fabulous new blog.
Happy reviewing :)

x